Saturday, April 9, 2011

WEEK 7: Visual Literacy

In week 7 we continued our work on Photoshop tutorial activity. I finished early so I began to work on my visual literacy Photoshop project. The visual literacy project requires us to incorporate several images into a larger image using what we've learned in Photoshop. I chose to bring the phone booth and guard into the Grand Canyon image.

Photoshop plays a large role in Telecommunications. Its used to create and edit graphics to be included in pictures and videos. However, Photoshop is nothing without a solid foundation in visual literacy. Every week I see my classmates in my telecom classes deliver technically sound productions, but completely visually illiterate. Without the ability to convey meaning in an organized and visually pleasing manner, a production, no matter how technical it is, lacks professionalism and cannot convey meaning.

TEDxDartmouth-Brian Kennedy: Visual Literacy: Why We Need It!
It's a long video, but it deals a lot with visual literacy and why its important to, well, everything. Kennedy discusses the many applications and contexts of visual literacy. He goes on to discuss the history of visual literacy before the era of literacy, beginning with cave paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment